Program Manager: Mistinguette Smith
The Black/Land Project gathers, facilitates and shares conversations about the current relationship between black people, land, and place in order to share their powerful traditions of resourcefulness, resilience, and regeneration.
Program Manager: Alissa Barron
Program Co-Directors: Michael Shuman and John Fisk
Graphic Designer: Charles Huerth
Funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and the W.K. Kellogg Foundation, this program’s purpose is to conduct research and education regarding the local ownership of food enterprise as a pathway to prosperity. The program has the following objectives:
- Produce a practitioner’s guide consisting of case studies from the United States, Africa, Asia, Latin America and Europe. Each case study will paint a full picture of a distinct local food enterprise – its origins, operations, successes and failures, tradeoffs, economic and social outcomes, and aspects in need of further development.
- Conduct an outreach and communications campaign that engages opinion leaders, community groups, planners and entrepreneurs worldwide and builds a global brain trust for advancing the design and application of community food enterprise models.
- Build a dynamic, online resource to inform and link practitioners worldwide, including an open-source system for collecting and sharing examples of community food enterprises.
Program Director: Kelley Rajala
The Local Economy Institute is the non-profit arm of the Share Exchange working on a bridge to the next economy — the People’s Economy, the Relationship Economy, a Holistic, Fair & Just Economy.
Their work aims to help communities rebuild strong, vibrant local economies — particularly small communities or rural geographic regions. Their work includes:
- Research — Round Tables, Think Tanks, White Papers
- Community Engagement & Awareness Raising — Speaker and Film Series, Community Mapping
- Training & Skill Development — Workshops, Peer-to-Peer Learning Groups, Certification Programs
They offer services in the following topic areas:
- Local Economics
- Business & Organizational Development
- Environmental Sustainability & Quality of Life